Support for the bereaved

Committed to Caring Since 1995

Help with funeral costs

Where to find support when you need it most

Funeral Support Payment helps pay for funeral costs if you live in Scotland.

You can use the payment towards funeral costs for a baby, child or adult. This includes babies who were stillborn.

It usually will not cover the full cost of the funeral but it should help pay for some costs. It can be paid either to you or the funeral director who's helping you plan the funeral. Only one person can get Funeral Support Payment for the funeral.


Definition of a funeral for Funeral Support Payment

A funeral is the burial or cremation of the person who died.

It does not include:

  • A memorial service or remembrance event, if it’s separate from the burial or cremation
  • Burying someone’s ashes after they’ve been cremated

You can get a Funeral Support Payment if all of the following apply:

  • You live in Scotland
  • You or your partner are getting certain benefits or tax credits
  • The person who died lived in the UK
  • The funeral is being held in the UK or in some circumstances in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland
  • You are applying after the person has died, until 6 months after the date of their funeral
  • You or your partner are responsible for the funeral
  • It is reasonable for you or your partner to accept responsibility for the funeral costs

Usually, it is reasonable for the nearest relative of the person who died to accept responsibility for the funeral costs. A nearest relative could be a partner, child, parent or sibling.

If you or your partner are not the nearest relative, you'll need to explain to us when you apply, why it's reasonable to have accepted responsibility. You can use the 'If you think there is something else we need to know' box at the end of the form to provide this information. We will call you to discuss this.

Benefits and tax credits you or your partner must get

You or your partner must get one or more of the following:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit (UC)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit (disability or severe disability element)
  • Housing Benefit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), not contribution-based JSA
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), not contribution-based ESA

Funeral Support Payment Information

Get in touch with Frazer Hare

Contact us at any time, day or night to make your arrangements

Speak to us